How do you improve on a classic performance keyboard like the original Electro? You could take it gently, or you just do what we did with the Electro 3; push it as far as you can, and then a bit further.
The demands from a performing keyboard player haven't really changed all that much, good quality never goes out of style. We just want to offer you some of the best stuff we have, in a affordable and easy-to-use instrument. We hope that you will have as much fun owning and using the Electro 3, as we have had developing it.
The Electro 3 comes in two different sizes. The 61 and the 73 have the same type of semi-weighted keyboard with the waterfall profile. This is a great set of keys to play organ and pianos with.
The Nord Electro 3 is compatible with the Nord Piano library. It takes full advantage of the Library's multitude of velocity layers, pedal-down samples and extremely high quality samples providing you with an unprecedented expressiveness. Any current or future piano that is available in the Nord Piano Library will also automatically be available to the Nord Electro 3.
Right from the start, the Electro 3 is loaded with a great selection of pianos from the Nord Piano Library v5. There are two acoustic grand pianos, the Grand Lady-D and the Studio Grand 2. You will also find the CP80 electric grand and the Rain Piano upright. Electric piano aficionados will love the selection of the tine-based types; a Mk I, a Suitcase Mk I, a Mk II and the Bright Tines, all with their unique and distinctive personalities. A great Wurlitzer A200 is of course present, as is the mighty Clavinet D6.
The Clavinet type includes the Harpsichords as well, with one Italian harpsichord in the factory sound bank, and more to choose from in the Nord Piano Library download area. Each and every one of these piano sounds can be replaced if you wish. All the sounds in the Nord Piano Library are available for free.
Samples from the Nord Sample Library
Not only loaded with great piano sounds, the Electro 3 contains some great samples to add more flavor to your sonic arsenal. You'll find some of the classic Mellotron sounds, a selection of strings, a celeste, a vibraphone and many others. And just as with the piano sounds, all of the samples can be replaced if the factory selection does not suit your immediate needs.
You can add virtually any sound you want to the Nord Electro 3. Sounds that we offer for free are from the Mellotron and Chamberlin libraries or any other instrument from the expanding and extensive Nord Sample Library.
Nord Sample Editor
By using the free Nord Sample Editor, you can add any sound you want to the Electro 3. The Sample Editor can use audio files in the .wav format and is equipped with some great tools to assist you in getting the results you want. Mapping several samples across the keyboard or creating perfect loops has never been easier.
You can even start assembling your own samples today in the computer, without having the Nord Electro 3 present - just download the Editor, the manual and fire away. The Nord Sample Editor is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OSX.
The sample memory in the Electro 3 is 68 MB and our high efficient lossless compression algorithm makes it possible for us to use samples of up to three times the size compared to a standard linear sample player.
The samples are automatically encoded within the Nord Sample Editor and decoded back in realtime when played on the keyboard. This way we can preserve all the important character of a sound without having to compromise in quality.
The growling sound, and the soul of a B3 is hard to replicate faithfully in a digital instrument. Sampling is definitely not an option if you want to create a living, breathing tonewheel sound. We've spent years perfecting our digital models and the Electro 3 contains our award winning second generation tonewheel model.
The attention to minute details is stunning, the Electro 3 is even equipped with four selectable tonewheel modes, that stretches from a clean sound to battered unit with the most dramatic setting; vintage 3. This setting even produces a sound in the background of its own, even if you don't touch any keys.
It's all in the details
Every function in a B3 has been considered and examined in great detail, to make the Electro 3 as true to the original sound as possible. There are key clicks derived from the original busbar behavior and the energy robbing that produces the gentle compression when you do that massive palm smear across the keyboard. To get the response right, we have included the option to trigger the organ sounds at the very top of a key's range, making it react just as fast as the original. And sometimes we couldn't resist adding functions that went a bit further, like the option to either include or exclude the 9th drawbar when Percussion was activated.
Vox and Farfisa
The Farfisa* and Vox* models are just as impressive as the B3. The massive savage sound created by their 12-top oscillator frequency-divider designs is of course another nosample zone in the Electro 3; you have the same behavior and unique response from our models as in the original instruments. The Farfisa Compact Deluxe, considered by many to be the mother of transistor organs, involves routing matrixes and complex filter combinations that offer a tailored sound with massive energy and high-end.
The Vox* Continental's brute design brings you a more hollow tone, but with a very intense character. Both these transistor organs have their own unique, irreplaceable personalities. Combine them with any of the Electro 3's speaker simulations, add some distortion, adjust the EQ and they will definitely get you through any organ gig with flying colors.
Using the Organ Split mode, you can play two different organ registrations in a dual manual fashion, one sound on either side of a user definable keyboard split point. Connect a second MIDI keyboard to the Electro 3, to use the organ split functionality, but in a true, dual manual setup.
The Nord Electro 3 is equipped with a great selection of high quality effects including a lush sounding reverb with five different algorithms. There is also a selection of tremolo, panning, wah-wah, phaser, flanger and chorus effects, and a ring modulator.
User can further sculpt their final sound by choosing from a selection of three amplifier simulations that can add any amount of grit and distortion from gentle to manic levels.
A three-band EQ with sweepable mid-range and a compressor can be added to the final stage of the audio path.
Enhanced rotary speaker emulator
The rotary speaker emulator originates from the award winning Nord C1 Combo Organ, with its acclaimed sound quality. This rotary speaker emulator incorporates the acoustic variations that occur when a physical speaker spreads the sound in a room, providing the full experience of when the air is moved around.
The Electro 3's rotary also features a great function in the addition of the Rotary Stop Mode. This allows users to switch between fast and stopped rotation and back again by using either the controls on the panel or with a foot pedal connected to the Rotor Pedal input. This is a crucial functionality that mimics the behavior of early one-speed original rotary speaker units.
Those of you who are picky about the rotary behaviors will be pleased to find several user adjustable settings like speed and acceleration times for both treble and bass rotors. These options, as well as all the other System, MIDI and Sound Menu functions are written on the right side of the panel, a great help for all those moments when the manual decided to stay at home.
- Organ section from the acclaimed Nord C1 Combo Organ
- Three classic organ models: B3, Vox Continental, and Farfisa with full polyphony
- 9 digitally controlled drawbars
- Two complete organ registrations for every program
- The drawbars of Electro 3 are represented by up/down buttons and LED bar graphs instead of the ordinary mechanical drawbars. This gives you a big advantage: when you change programs, the correct drawbar settings are shown immediately by the LEDs
- 17 user configurable organ presets for each organ model
- Percussion with 2nd, 3rd, normal/soft, fast/slow for the B3 model
- User adjustable percussion levels, percussion decays and keyclick level
- Vibrato / Chorus Control with separate functionality for each model (the classic C1, C2, C3, V1, V2, V3 options for the B3, Vibrato for the Farfisa)
- 4 Tonewheel modes: select the level of "vintage" you wish to have in your B3 sound
- MIDI Split: The Nord Electro 3 is designed to support an extra MIDI keyboard when the Organ Split mode is activated. This makes it possible to use the Nord Electro 3 as a dual manual (Lower/Upper) organ with different drawbar settings for each manual
- 5 selectable types of pianos - Grand, Upright, EPiano, Wurl & Clav/Harpsichord. Each type can contain several different models
- 185 MB of the flash memory is allocated to the piano types
- Each and every piano in the Electro 3 is replacable by the user. New models can be uploaded to the Electro 3 using the Nord Sound Manager application
- Samp Lib type can contain up to 50 samples from the Nord Sample Library
- 68 MB of the flash memory is allocated to samples
- Stereo pianos and samples can be played back in mono
- 40-60 Voices polyphony
- Effect 1 - pan, tremolo, auto-wah, pedal-wah and ringmodulator
- Three selectable depths for the pan and tremolo, rate controlled with the Effect 1 Rate knob
- Control pedal assigned to pedah-wah and ring modulator depth
- Effect 2 - phaser, flanger and chorus
- Three selectable depths, rate controlled with the Effect 2 Rate knob
- Comp/Amp - three amp/speaker simulations, compressor and rotary speaker
- Drive/Compression amount controlled with the Drive knob
- Rotary speed controls - Slow, Fast and Stopped
- User adjustable rotary treble and bass rotor speeds and acceleration rates
- Reverb with five algorithms - Room, Stage Soft, Stage, Hall, Hall Soft
- Dry/Wet control
- Three band EQ, with sweepable mid. +/- 15 dB gain/attenuation
- 128 program memories
- Keyboard: 61-key (5 octaves) or 73-key (6 octaves). Velocity sensitive semi-weighted waterfall (square front) keyboard
- 2 Audio outputs L & R - ", 6,35 mm jacks, unbalanced
- 1 Monitor input - 1/8", 3,5 mm stereo jack
- 1 Headphone output - ", 6,35 mm stereo jack
- 1 Control pedal input - ", 6,35 mm TRS stereo jack. Use a Control/Expression pedal like e.g. Yamaha FC-7, Roland EV-5 etc.
- 1 Sustain pedal input - ", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal, like e.g, Roland DP-2, DP-6, Yamaha FC-4, FC-5, Fatar VFP1-25 etc.
- 1 Rotary Speaker speed switch pedal input - ", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal or a switch type pedal
- MIDI In, MIDI Out - 5 pin DIN connectors
- USB - type B connector
- IEC320 C7 power connector
- User Manual
- Power cord
- Nord DVD-ROM
- Nord Electro 3 Sixtyone: 900 mm (35.4"), 100 mm (3.9"), 300 mm (11.8")
- Nord Electro 3 Seventythree: 1120 mm (44.1"), 100 mm (3.9"), 300 mm (11.8")
- Nord Electro 3 Sixtyone: 7.65 kg (15.3 lbs)
- Nord Electro 3 Seventythree: 9.1 kg (18.2 lbs)